Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chicken run

Today I decided to replenish my gang of girls. Having lost three hens to the fox I couldn't leave the one remaining hen on her own. So I phoned around and found a chicken breeder. I decided not to go back to the last one as I'd had my hens for 4 months and not a single egg. I think I've been running a retirement home for hens. Which was nice, they all sat around chatting and looking out at the loch, I half expected them to whip out a bit of knitting or a pack of cards, but it didn't get me any breakfast eggs.

So I found the new chicken breeder's house, on the main road, with the horse in the front garden. The man himself was out but his grandmother was there. I told her I'd come to pick up 3 black rocks and hoped she had a box I could take them home in. "Not a bother," she said, her eyes twinkled, "we'll put them in bags." For a moment I didn't know how to reply. Should I tell her I was here for live chickens or was she really telling me I was to take home three chickens in plastic bags? The look of shock must've been obvious because she followed it up with "sure, they'll be fine, we'll put holes in the bags." Yes, she did mean for me to take them home in bags, because "it was no distance." I nipped to the local garage and got a crisp box. On my return my daughter was playing with a kitten which I realised the kind lady was telling my daughter she could keep if she could catch it. This wasn't the first time this week I'd had to prise kittens out of my daughter's hands from kind ladies. Chickens you pay for, but kittens it seems come for free. I finally got the chickens home, hoping and praying there wouldn't be a repeat performance of the loose chicken in the car on the way home from picking up the kids from a party. But there wasn't. They're getting used to their new home. But I have to say the lone chicken, Sarah Jane, is very put out. I think she was getting used to living on her own in her spacious coop for one. As for kittens, I'm trying to put that off until another day but I think I'm running out of time. There's only so many times you can say "soon, we'll get one soon."

I'm just wondering though, if the chicken lady wanted me to bring the chickens home in bags, if I bought a donkey would they expect me to bring back in the boot of my car.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Love this account. Do you have to have a cockerel as well?

    ReplyDelete